Tag: “Gordon Brown

My anger at McBride is not his gift to the Tories now, but the one he and other GB people gave in helping Labour lose power

Posted on 22 September 2013 | 7:09am

I really like Iain Dale, and believe the Tories missed a trick when he tried and failed to become an MP for them. He would have been a good MP, and perhaps a good minister. But he has fulfilled an important political function outside Parliament in building up a successful publishing and media company which […]

‘The mess we inherited’ – some facts with which to fight the Tory Big Lies

Posted on 19 August 2013 | 9:08am

​​ I am indebted to Professor Vernon Bogdanor, who among other things was David Cameron’s tutor at Oxford, for drawing my attention to a recent report by the LSE Growth Commission. Anyone who looks at the mix of academics, business leaders, economists and banking experts on the Commission will be unable to dismiss them as […]

Lessons for Labour in fascinating Axelrod account of Obama election win

Posted on 15 March 2013 | 11:03am

I suppose political strategists are likely to be more interested in interviews with political strategists than most people, but anyone with an interest in politics, campaigns and the next election should read the interview below. It is with political strategist David Axelrod, a key member of the team for both of Barack Obama’s presidential campaigns; conducted […]

Clegg has quietly resigned from the lightning conductor role – which is to his advantage, but another problem for Cameron

Posted on 21 October 2012 | 9:10am

The reason we ended up with a coalition government is that the public did not want Labour back for a fourth term but they did not want the old Tory Party back either. So they chucked in the Lib Dems and said ‘you lot sort it out.’ Analysed coldly, David Cameron should have won the […]

IMF report another step towards the end of this unelected one-term Tory government

Posted on 20 July 2012 | 5:07am

TweedleGeorge and TweedleDanny were out the other day, dressed in G4S style security jackets, announcing a bit of infrastructure spending. TweedleDanny appeared to have lost the power of speech, but he had retained the power of head movement and was nodding earnestly as TweedleGeorge explained how the difficult decisions taken by the coalition had made […]

If Labour’s team had stayed united, I think we might have staved off a Bullingdon government

Posted on 18 June 2012 | 12:06pm

I can hardly complain at The Guardian’s ‘brilliant but bonkers’ headline on the second part of the extracts they are running from my new book, Burden of Power. Tony Blair said the words, and he said them about Gordon Brown, so even though it is not news that there were sometimes difficulties between them, and […]

One big bad bold move … and Osborne’s star falls so far so fast

Posted on 27 May 2012 | 11:05am

A few months ago, George Osborne, in the eyes of many of his MPs and much of the media, could do no wrong. He was not just the Chancellor presiding over a bold plan to cure all known economic ills in a single term. He was also the party strategist whose economic and political mastery […]

Cameron wrong if he thinks sacking nine out of ten civil servants the answer to his problems

Posted on 11 May 2012 | 7:05am

Not much doubt which will be the most read newspaper in Whitehall today… the Daily Telegraph, which leads on a story headlined ‘worst civil servants to be sacked,’ and includes the remarkable line from a ‘minister’ that he is in favour of sacking 90 per cent of them, and paying the remaining 10 per cent […]

Game on, and if Tories think this is about communications, the game is definitely winnable for Labour

Posted on 4 May 2012 | 9:05am

I hope someone at Tory Central Office is minting a medal for Michael Fallon, the MP who so gamely trots from studio to studio defending whatever Cameron-Osborne shambles happens to be trending at the time. But last night, as he sat with others waiting for election results to come in, there came a little sign […]

Cameron and Osborne should heed Alistair Darling’s advice

Posted on 28 April 2012 | 5:04pm

I don’t suppose the two arrogant unapologetic posh boys who don’t know the price of milk (copyright Nadine Dorries) would ever listen to Alistair Darling. But they could do worse. Writing in the FT today, Labour’s last Chancellor sets out his ideas for how his successor George Osborne might get the economy going, including investment […]